DON’T GET SCAMMED
ON YOUR WAY TO COLLEGE!!
6 SIGNS A SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH
MAY BE A SCHOLARSHIP SCAM!!!
1. “This Scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.”
No one can guarantee that they’ll get you a grant or scholarship. Refund guarantees often have conditions or strings attached. Get refund policies in writing before you pay.
2. “You can’t get this information anywhere else.”
There are many free lists of scholarships available. Check with the Counseling Center before you decide to pay someone to do the work for you.
3. “May I have your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship?”
Don’t give out your credit card or bank account number on the phone without getting information in writing first. It may be a set up for an unauthorized withdrawal from your account.
4. “We’ll do all the work!!”
Don’t be fooled. There is no way around it. You must apply for scholarships or grants yourself.
5. “The scholarship will cost some money.”
Don’t pay anyone who claims to be “holding” a scholarship or grant for you. Free money shouldn’t cost a thing.
6. “You’ve been selected by a “national foundation” to receive a scholarship.” or “You’re a finalist in a contest” (that you never entered).
Before you send money to apply for a scholarship, check it out. Make sure the foundation program is legitimate.
NEED MONEY FOR COLLEGE?
Check with the Counseling Center for free information about current scholarships before you pay someone for the same or similar scholarship lists.